Sunday, May 8, 2011

The Seven Month Pledge

Image from Heidi&Seek via isismade


As you all know, I started this blog to document my discoveries on how to incorporate altruistic things into the everyday. With my goal to learn how we in the Western World can make a difference in such huge issues such as global poverty, disease, slavery etc I have looked at small but significant changes I have chosen to make in the hope you might be inspired to do so too!
So, the news is that I have decided to set myself a challenge. One of my favourite humanitarian and environmental initiatives has got to be ethical fashion. It seems to be a reoccurring topic on my blog thus far and from now on it will be almost the only topic as I am choosing to buy only ethical fashion until December. That's right no high-street shopping! The goal is that I will learn how to live more ethically and it will become a lifestyle! So here's the pledge:

I pledge to only wear clothing that is one or more of the following:


1. Pre-loved
2. Handmade
3. Reconstructed
4. Made with ethical / environmentally friendly materials
5. Made by a company with strong ethical policy & workers’ rights

Now this is a 7 month trial before I up and move to London in December. I want to give myself the opportunity to get settled and work out the most ethical way to shop there AND possibly save up for a new sewing machine! However, this will be a lifestyle choice and one that I hope others feel inspired to follow too. If you want to take the pledge click here and join 'isismade' with the rest of us!

2 comments:

  1. wow! good on you! i wish you the best of luck. and don't worry, from my research I've found there are even more ethical options available to those living in the UK. :)

    x isis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your kind comments on my blog! Looks like you're in a similar mindset of living "ethically" in little choices of life. Good luck with the "Ethical Clothing Pledge". I have seen this before & love the idea. May need to try it soon...

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment and make my day!