Saturday, May 28, 2011






(pictures from greenweddingshoes.com)

So as you know, my life at the moment is rather wedding consumed. But I've got to say that I am loving weddings these days!? They seem to be so personal and unique and really creative! No longer is the traditional, princess-style-church-set-wedding the norm but instead couples are having their wedding in a way that authentically reflects them. With D.I.Y decorations and personal touches (as featured above) there's a real sense of fun and that shabby-chic vibe we all love!

A lot of people are also making their weddings ethical these days, which I think is pretty cool. I've discovered quite a few ethical wedding alternatives that I'm going to suggest to my sister, here's a couple of my faves!

'Couples are having their wedding

 in a way that reflects them'


The ring ...
So, I haven't been looking so much at rings, seeing as it's not my wedding, but quite a few of my recently engaged friends have gone for vintage, art-deco rings which seem to be the current trend and are stunningly beautiful. After watching the heart-wrenching movie 'Blood Diamond' though, it would probably be good to check you only buy conflict-free diamonds, so you know no one suffered for your sparkle!

The gift registry ...
I think this is a really easy way to make your wedding ethical. Everyone is going to be forking out cash so that you can start a marital home well with all the necessary items. But why not make sure they're also planet-friendly purchases and set up your registry with an ethical company? Or if you're feeling really generous you could even ask your guests to make donations to your charity of choice?

The party favours ...
You can give gifts that keep on giving. My favourite ideas were cute homemade gifts such as jars of homemade chutneys, jams, eco-shopping bags and picture frames. Another cute idea are mini plants like Bonsai trees and cacti.

The dress ...
So if your anything like me, when it comes to weddings, it's all about the dress. However these days the only way to make your dress vaguely ethical is to have it made locally out of fabrics like linen, silk or hemp. But if you can't do that you could always re-use one like your Mom's? Another option is to go for a pre-loved gown which you can get off websites like Love Me Twice and I Do Gowns, this one is pretty extreme, but if possible you could always use the material, remake it and change up the style a little?

Just a few options to make your special day even more special. I'll definitely be passing these on to my sister!

2 comments:

  1. never thought about an ethical wedding... thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH my gosh these pictures are perfect! I agree, weddings these days are so much more creative than what was traditionally done and I LOVE it. So many ideas! :)

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment and make my day!